Bureau of Indian Affairs
Be an enrolled member of the Ottawa Tribe of Oklahoma. Students must provide proof of membership, e.g., tribal enrollment card, or letter from the Tribe
Be admitted for enrollment to an accredited institution of higher educations.
Have financial need as determined by the eligible institution’s financial aid office according to U.S. Dept. of Education standard formula.
Apply for all available campus-based financial aid.
Deadline Date: July 15th
Students are funded for the academic year (Fall and Spring semesters). Continuing students must reapply for grants each academic year. A separate application must be made for summer school.
Summer semester is not funded unless there is available funds.
The following documents must be submitted to be considered for funding:
- A fully completed BIA Higher Education grant application form.
- A copy of Tribal Enrollment Card certifying that applicant is a Tribal member. (New Applicants only).
- A letter of Acceptance from an eligible institution (New applicants, transfers, and previously suspended students).
- A copy of high school transcript or GED high school equivalency certificate. Students now in college send a copy of your latest transcript (New applicants only).
- Official transcript from previous term/year funded by BIA (Continuing students).
- A “Financial Aid Package Form” prepared by the College Financial Aid Officer indicating the student’s unmet need. YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR FUNDING WITHOUT THIS FORM BEING COMPLETE!
- A letter of intent explaining why you wish to attend college. (New Applicants).
- Verification of enrollment-A letter from the university stating you are enrolled for the Fall or Spring semester and enrolled as half-time or full time student. Document must be signed by the registrar or stamped with the school seal.
DO NOT SEND INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS.
All applicants will be reviewed on an individual basis and approved or rejected by the scholarship officer. Oklahoma Area Education Office will notify applicant and the Financial Aid Office in writing of BIA determination.
PAYMENT OF GRANT
The grant payment will be sent directly to the Financial Aid Office in the student’s name. The Financial Aid Office disburses grant funds to the student according to the disbursement policy of the school. Grant funds are not to be used for repayment of education loans.
Full-time students must complete 12 or more semester hours per academic term, half-time students must fulfill the same requirements adjusted to their half-time status.
All students must achieve and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 grade point scale.
Students shall continue to be eligible for funding for 10 semesters as long as they maintain a 2.0 GPA and meet the deadlines for submission of renewal application, grades and verification of enrollment.
Student’s failure to meet academic standards shall result in suspension from BIA funding. Failure to meet minimum academic standards for the probation period will result in repayment of the grant award for that academic term.
Students suspended from BIA funding shall not be considered for future funding until they,
- Utilize other funding sources
- Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per term with a cumulative and term GPA of 2.0.
- Meet the timeline of not receiving funding for at least one semester.
For more information please contact Cheryl Lewis at:
Oklahoma Area Education Office
200 NW 4th St. Suite 4049
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
Phone: 1-405-605-6051 extension 304